If you are looking to reduce the amount of toxins in your home, then you will definitely want to take a look at your cleaning products.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Many store-bought cleaning products are highly toxic, and expensive too. Not only are homemade household cleaners better for your health, they are inexpensive and easy to make.
In the Kitchen
- Use white vinegar to clean your garbage disposal. Pour vinegar into ice cube trays and freeze. Remove cubes from ice cube trays and place into ziploc freezer bags to store in the freezer. Once a week, place several cubes into the running garbage disposal. This will keep your blades sharp, as well as clean and deodorize your garbage disposal.
- To clean your microwave, place 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup white vinegar into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Your microwave should now be easy to wipe clean with a damp rag.
- Clean your dishwasher and remove hard water and soap build up by pouring 1 cup white vinegar into it once a month and running it through a normal washing cycle.
- Vinegar is great for sanitizing your wood cutting boards.
- Use a mixture of half water and half vinegar to clean the interior of your refrigerator. Apply with a damp rag.
- Vinegar can be used to clean your automatic coffee maker. Fill the water resevoir with white vinegar and run it through a brewing cycle. After the brewing cycle has finished, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Unclog a kitchen or bathroom drain by placing 1/2 cup vinegar and a handful of baking soda down the drain. Flush with hot water.
In the Bathroom
- Spraying white vinegar onto your tiles and shower curtain will help prevent mold and mildew build up.
- If you have hard water deposits on your bathroom fixtures, try soaking a rag in white vinegar and wrapping it around the fixture for several hours. Scrub with a scrub brush or old toothbrush to loosen and remove the mineral deposits.
- Easily clean your bathroom toilet by pouring a cup of vinegar into the toilet and letting it set over night. Scrub with a toilet brush in the morning.
- You can make a great shower and bathtub cleaner by mixing vinegar and liquid dish soap. Heat 1 cup white vinegar in the microwave and use a funnel to pour it into an empty spray bottle. Add 1 cup liquid dish soap (blue Dawn works best). This cleaner works on tiles, glass shower doors and bathroom fixtures. It is great for removing mineral deposits and removing soap scum. It not called the miracle tub and shower cleaner for nothing. And it will make your bathroom smell great too.
In the Laundry
- White vinegar can be used in the place of liquid fabric softener in your washing machine.
- To clean your washing machine, occasionally run the (empty) washer with one cup vinegar added.
- Vinegar can be used to clean eyeglasses. Just rub a couple of drops of vinegar into each lens, and wipe until dry.
- You can make an all purpose household cleaning spray by combining 2 tbsp. vinegar, 1 tsp. Borax, and 1 tsp. liquid dish soap in an empty spray bottle. Fill the bottle the rest of the way with water. This cleaner is great for cleaning all areas of the home.
- Make your own window and glass cleaner by mixing 1 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water, and 1 tbsp. white vinegar in an empty spray bottle. This all-purpose cleaner also cleans tile and chrome.
- Vinegar is an all-around great household cleaner. It is very inexpensive, and you can find uses for it all around your home. Keep your family safe by reducing the amounts of toxins they are exposed to every day. Changing your cleaning habits is a great place to start.
Like this article? You might also like 5 Ways to Speed Clean Your Coffee Maker
Follow my cleaning hacks board on Pinterest.