How to Eliminate Vacuum Smells
This post may contain affiliate links.
Q: Even though I use a new bag the vacuum lets out a bad smell like popcorn or something. It is about a year old. It’s always been this way even with other vacuums…is there a secret for getting rid of vacuum smells?
Tip #2: I used to work in appliance repair for Sears. If using powdered fresheners make sure to use them in the bag only. The kind that you sprinkle on the carpet can cause your motor to go bad, the dust gets all inside everything. Use the potpourri in the bag or a fabric softener sheet.
Tip #3: I presume you don’t use anything in your vacuum…the smell is the dust. It is a good idea too, to clear the fibres and hairs from the vacuum roller head regularly – I do mine every 3rd time of using the vacuum as it is easier to maintain then.
As for the smell, I use some laundry washing powder sprinkled in the bag only. I use a lovely smelling washing powder…actually a choice of 3 as I buy whatever one’s on special.
Or you can use carpet powder deodorizer…or room freshener…anything you have in the house that smells nice and is a powder form will do the trick actually.
Tip #4: I hate the smell of my vacuum cleaner! YUK! I usually take a very small piece of toilet paper or kleenex, drop a few drops of my favourite essential oil in it (I like fresh smelling ones like Lemongrass, for instance) and vacuum it up. It eliminates the “dirty” smell and makes vacuuming a lot nicer…Frances
Related Cleaning Hacks
- Removing Rotten Meat Smell or Odor from the Freezer
- How to Get Rid of Mattress Odors
- DIY Odor Absorber
- How to Remove the Odor from Smelly Towels
- How to Remove Cat Urine Smell from Carpet for GOOD
- 5 Ways to Get Dog Smell Out of Your Car
- How to Get Rid of Cigarette Smells in a House
- How to Remove Smoke Smell from House
- Removing Moth Ball Smell from Clothing
- How to Get a Rotten Smell Out of the Fridge!
Follow my General Cleaning board on Pinterest.